DHCP option 43

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Wed Aug 6 14:07:01 UTC 2008

>From: "Sivaraman, Radhakrishnan" <radhakrishnan.s at hp.com>
>To: "dhcp-users at isc.org" <dhcp-users at isc.org>
>Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 13:24:48 +0000
>Subject: DHCP option 43
>
>Hi all,
>
>I have some doubts about ISC DHCP. Software version is 3.0.1.
>

>1)   Does ISC DHCP server sends "Vendor Specific Information" (DHCP option =
>43) as "encapsulated vendor specific option"?
>
>2)   Based on what info DHCP client can identify that, whether the data fol=
>lowing option code 43 is encapsulated or not?
>
>3)   If dhcpd.conf contains only one DHCP client configuration entity for o=
>ne VCI (vendor class identifier), will it be encapsulated form or not?
>
>I am really new to DHCP. All answers are greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Radhakrishnan S

The option 43 data can either be a single plain option, or
encapsulated, depending on your configuration. The details
are in the dhcpd.conf man page.

Some suggested reading is:

The DHCP Handbook 2nd Ed by Raplh Droms and Ted Lemon
(both subscribers to the list)

RFC 2131 - DHCP
RFC 2132 - Vendor Extensions

online manual pages (read using 'man' command)
	dhcpd.conf
	dhcpd
	dhcp-options
	dhcp-eval