DHCP option 43

Sivaraman, Radhakrishnan radhakrishnan.s at hp.com
Wed Aug 6 13:24:48 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I have some doubts about ISC DHCP. Software version is 3.0.1.

1)   Does ISC DHCP server sends "Vendor Specific Information" (DHCP option 43) as "encapsulated vendor specific option"?

2)   Based on what info DHCP client can identify that, whether the data following option code 43 is encapsulated or not?

3)   If dhcpd.conf contains only one DHCP client configuration entity for one VCI (vendor class identifier), will it be encapsulated form or not?

I am really new to DHCP. All answers are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Radhakrishnan S