DHCP Failover recovery......

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Mon Aug 4 12:59:45 UTC 2008

There are two factors: the time it takes to transfer 125k leases to the
other server, and the configured MCLT parameter. There is a description
of what happens during startup in the dhcpd.conf man page in the section
titled "FAILOVER STARTUP".

regards,
-glenn

>From: "li jun" <li-jun-a at hdsc.hitachi-displays.com>
>Subject: RE: DHCP Failover recovery......
>Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 08:54:00 +0800
>
> I don't know exactly the factor that affects the recovering process.May be the
recovery time is depend on the number of the clients.and in my company,there are
about 500 PCs,and the recovering process costs 15min.
>  By the way,who can tell me the factors?
>

>---------------------
>LIJUN
>IS DEPARTMENT
>HITACHI DISPLAYS DEVICES(SUZHOU)
>CN
>

>  _____

Luis Fernando Lacayo
>Sent: Friday, August 01, 2008 9:13 PM
>To: dhcp-users at isc.org
>Subject: RE: DHCP Failover recovery......
>

>Thanks for the words of encouragement.  I have let it run from an hour, and my
customers are crying blood murder.

>Does anyone have any idea of how long it will take to recover 125K leases.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Luis
>
>On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 08:18 +0800, li jun wrote:
>

>Don't worrry,Just wait serveral more minutes,because the recovering process
costs some time.

>---------------------
>LIJUN
>IS DEPARTMENT
>HITACHI DISPLAYS DEVICES(SUZHOU)
>CN
>

>  _____

dhcpd: Sending on   LPF/eth0/00:15:c5:fe:57:bd/10.129.177/24
>Jul 28 07:56:36 D4FWWC1 dhcpd: Listening on
LPF/eth0/00:15:c5:fe:57:bd/10.129.177/24
>Jul 28 07:56:36 D4FWWC1 dhcpd: Sending on   Socket/fallback/fallback-net
>Jul 28 07:56:36 D4FWWC1 dhcpd: Sending on
LPF/eth0/00:15:c5:fe:57:bd/10.129.177/24
>Jul 28 07:56:36 D4FWWC1 dhcpd: failover peer co-wan03: I move from recover to
startup
>Jul 28 07:56:36 D4FWWC1 dhcpd: Sending on   Socket/fallback/fallback-net
>Jul 28 07:56:37 D4FWWC1 dhcpd: failover peer co-wan03: I move from recover to
startup
>Jul 28 07:56:37 D4FWWC1 dhcpd: dhcpd startup succeeded
>
>skip a few lines and I see the same message for most of the subnets on the
dhcpd.conf file.
>DHCPREQUEST for 10.129.77.204 from 00:12:3f:08:0d:e3 via 10.129.76.3: not
responding (recovering).

>Thanks,
>

>Luis
>

>--
>
>Luis Fernando Lacayo
>
>Chicago Public Schools
>
>Senior Unix Administrator
>
>ITS/ UNIX Infrastructure
>
>Office: 773-553-3835
>
>Cell: 773-203-4493
>

>  _____
>

>Disclaimer: The contents of this e-mail, and its attachments, if any, are
confidential and may be protected by law against any unauthorized use. If you
have received this e-mail by mistake or have reason to believe that you are not
the intended recipient, please notify the sender by reply e-mail as soon as
possible and delete it from your computer system immediately thereafter. If you
are not the intended recipient, you must not copy this e-mail or attachment or
disclose the contents to any other person. While we have made every effort to
keep our network virus free, we take no responsibility for any computer virus
which might be transferred by way of this e-mail.