tuning for maximum dhcp performance

Frank Bulk - iNAME frnkblk at iname.com
Sat Apr 26 15:42:10 UTC 2008

That describes a cable modem network approximately twice our size in a
similarly rural area.  Our cable modem network is in about a dozen towns
served by a variety of electric utilities.  In the 7+ years of our network,
we've never had a single power outage affect more than two towns.  Unless
you have reason to believe otherwise, I think your experience may be
similar.

If you reboot the CMTS the CMs will go offline and have to DHCP once they
reacquire a signal, but the CPE behind them won't, so that's a saving grace.
The advantage you have with a CMTS is that there will be spread in CMs
getting back online that's not DHCP-bound but limited by the ability of the
CMs to range.  With our system I find it takes up to 20 minutes for every
possible CM to get back online (I wish I had a histogram showing CMs added
per minute -- I should poll the CMTS every 10 seconds next time I perform a
software upgrade).  Where I have less than 75 CMs per upstream port it's
only 5 to 10 minutes for them to get back online, but where there's more
than 150 it can take twice as long.

Frank