Tool for DHCP pool statistics/monitoring

Trond Hasle Amundsen t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no
Wed Apr 16 17:05:42 UTC 2008

Trond Hasle Amundsen <t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no> writes:

> Scalability can be improved by caching the config, at least. The
> leases file is a kind of cache by itself, not much point in caching
> that one unless its paired with the pools/ranges from config as you
> suggest. It's an interesting idea, I'll look into it.

I've uploaded a new version. New functionality is mainly caching
(using DB_File) and the possibility to set the cache TTL with an
option (default is 5 min).

  http://folk.uio.no/trondham/software/dhcpd-pool.html

Caching should improve scalability and reduce the impact on the DHCP
server, as discussed earlier. Our very old soon-to-be-replaced Solaris
box with 5000 leases now runs dhcpd-pool in 8 sec, compared to 2 mins
without caching (or with an expired cache).

Cheers,
--
Trond H. Amundsen <t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no>
Center for Information Technology Services, University of Oslo