disk-less and ifcfg-eth0 for dhscp

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Apr 8 07:07:30 UTC 2008

hong zhang wrote:

>Would you please tell me that contents of dhcpd.conf
>for regular dhcp is same as disk less dhcp in dhcp
>server?
>
>I want to set up linux disk less dhcp in both dhcp
>server and client sides and want to make sure it is
>pure disk less dhcp (not related to ifcfg-eth#).

The server doesn't care about what is in any of your network config
files, only what it finds configured on the interfaces.

So what are you using for storage on this diskless server ? The
reason for asking is that it is not possible to run an RFC-compliant
server without persistent storage, and with the ISC server that means
disk (or something that looks like disk). The server won't run if it
can't write (and re-write) the leases file, and it is not RFC
compliant if that file is not persistent across restarts, reboots,
and power offs..