DHCP failover?

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Thu Sep 20 13:45:45 UTC 2007

>Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 00:47:39 -0500
>From: "Ryan McCain" <Ryan.McCain at dss.state.la.us>
>To: <dhcp-users at isc.org>
>Subject: Re: DHCP failover?
>
>Gotcha.
>
>I'm reading through Release Notes of different versions of DHCP and it seems
the failover code stabilizes in the 3.1 code.  Is that an accurate statement?

For many years I looked after an installation with 3500 PCs and 4500 IP
phones that used failover on dhcpd versions form 3.0.1rc6 to 3.0.3
without any significant failover issues. Failover is an area that has
had improvements done in every version. In my opinion it has been very
stable for 2-3 years.

If you're starting out with failover then, yes, it makes sense to use
the latest version. If you have an earlier version already running (say
3.0.3 or newer), then it is quite likely that it will work just fine
too. Of course YMMV, IANAL, no guarantees, etc, etc.

regards,
-glenn