dhcp-ldap

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Sep 13 08:15:02 UTC 2007

azzouz wrote:

>We have a probleme with dhcp-ladp. Openldap is installed in as
>backend for dhcp3-server.
>In openldap we defined class and pool for different PC. It was
>working good for a lon tile ago. But when we installed new PC and
>import their adress Mac in a class they don't obtain the right IP
>adress. otherwise they obtain always the same IP defined in range.
>I try to get out the cahe in the dhcpd-lease file. But they obtain
>again the same IP. Are there another cache ?

Does your config explicitly exclude that client from the pool it is
getting it's address from ?

It is not sufficient to allow access to one pool, you must also deny
access to all other pools, eg :

pool {
   allow members of "a";
}
pool {
   allow members of "b";
}
pool {
}

will not work. A client in class a could get an address from either
the first or third pool, similarly a client in class b could get an
address from the second or third pools. To prevent that, you would
need :

pool {
   allow members of "a";
}
pool {
   allow members of "b";
}
pool {
   deny members of "a";
   deny members of "b";
}

Windows clients are VERY sticky with their addresses - once they have
one they will try hard to hang on to it. So once one gets an address
in the wrong pool, they will always request that again in future.
Unless the DHCP server is configured to deny that request, it will
happily re-lease it (unless it's been leased to something else).

Also, you have configured your server to be authoritative haven't you ?