dhcpd.pid

John Tabasz (jtabasz) jtabasz at cisco.com
Wed Sep 5 19:18:45 UTC 2007

I am using Solaris 2.8 and dhcp 3.0.2. All addresses are being assigned
based on MAC address. There are no available lease ranges defined in the
.conf file.

I am getting a error message in /var/adm/messages for every lease
request the server sees:

Sep  5 11:41:05 SERVERNAME dhcpd: [ID 702911 local3.error] DHCPDISCOVER
from 00:11:
bb:ab:f0:00 via eri0: network TEST: no free leases
Sep  5 11:41:06 SERVERNAME  dhcpd: [ID 702911 local3.error] DHCPDISCOVER
from 00:1a:
6d:83:c6:40 via eri0: network TEST: no free leases
Sep  5 11:41:06 SERVERNAME  dhcpd: [ID 702911 local3.error] DHCPDISCOVER
from 00:0e:
d7:fe:d9:00 via eri0: network TEST: no free leases

Then the server host, "SERVERNAME" shuts down, reboots actually for some
reason I have yet to discover.
When the Sun box comes back up, the dhcpd does not start because it
thinks that dhcpd is already running. The file /etc/dhcpd.pid exists and
has the created time stamp of the last time the server was started (not
the current time).

It turns out that these MAC addresses are not in the /etc/dhcpd.conf
file. They are hammering the server with DHCPDISCOVER requests.

Why is the server not starting up as the sun box boots up? There is a
/etc/rc2.d file that has worked in the past and works fine if run
manually, unless the dhcp server is in this state.
If I rename or remove the /etc/dhcpd.pid file, then run the startup
script manually, the dhcpd will start up.

Shouldn't a pid file be located in a temporary location like /var/tmp?
How do I arrange this without recompiling the package?

The unknown MAC addresses is another issue.
A related question is Can I selectively dump some error messages and
retain others?

Thanks,

John