question about option: update-conflict-detection

Berg, M. van den mvdberg at nlr.nl
Wed Oct 31 12:26:19 UTC 2007

This week we moved from dhcpd 3.0.5 to 3.1.0. One of the reasons was the new option update-conflict-detection.
After some testing some things are not clear.

If update-conflict-detection is true, the dhcp-server updates the dns-server with the A, PTR and TXT record.
If update-conflict-detection is false, the dhcp-server updates the dns-server with only the A and PTR record.

But what we see in de dhcpd.log file is that when a system releases it's ip-adress, the dhcp-server does first a check
if the TXT record exist. If it fails (and it does because no TXT record was written to the dns-server), the A record is
not removed. The reverse mapping is removed from the dns-server.

Why first a check? Why not removing the A record on a release?

--
Meindert van den Berg