Stale lease data after ICMP ping before offer?

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Tue Oct 2 16:01:39 UTC 2007

>Subject: Stale lease data after ICMP ping before offer?
>From: Jerimiah Cole <jcole at tbtc.net>
>
>I have a situation where a client in a class with 'lease-limit 2' is
>being refused a lease after the server abandons 2 IPs due to ICMP ping
>before offer.  See the attached log.  The server continues to refuse the
>client a lease until the server is restarted.
>
>It appears that the server is counting the abandoned addresses against
>the client's lease-limit.  It doesn't write any data about the abandoned
>addresses to disk, so simply restarting the server seems to clear the
>broken associations.
>
>The server version is 3.0.3.  I didn't see anything mentioned in the
>change logs between 3.0.3 and 3.1.0.  I'm confident I can reproduce the
>problem in a test environment and test against 3.1.0 if necessary.
>
>Jerimiah

I remember this being mentioned a while ago, so it may be worth testing
a later version to see if it is fixed. Here it is:

  http://marc.info/?l=dhcp-users&m=114417510113115&w=2

hmm, inconclusive but the original message looks similar with cable
modems doing odd things...

Turning ping-check off is probably the simplest way to go.

regards,
-glenn