Failover + PXE

Todd Snyder tsnyder at rim.com
Fri Nov 23 16:01:13 UTC 2007

Thanks for the information!  Much appreciated, esp the tip on TFTP, I
hadn't thought of mirroring that source yet.

A quick question regarding the failover methodology.  From what I've
read on the subject, it would appear that this set is more about load
balancing than HA (in my understanding).  Since it splits the pool in 2
and each server hands out a limited range, this seems to be less about
HA.  Does each server keep track of what the other server has handed
out, so when the other fails it keeps things organized?  Is it possible
to run one as a 'cold' standby, that keeps a copy of the leases but
doesn't actively respond to anything unless the other one is down for XX
seconds?

Just curious - we're setting this up in an HA environment, and I would
like to understand the behaviour a little more before I write the
document on how it behaves and what our options are.

(wow, that appears to be a lot less quick than I'd hoped for, but the
answer should be easy, I hope)

Cheers,

Todd.