Lease file questions

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Nov 16 23:21:49 UTC 2007

Ryan McCain wrote:

>Doing a quick google search and looking in the index of "The DHCP
>Handbook" didn't turn up any results on how the UID is formed.  Any
>clue on this?

There is no 'rule' - it's simply any unique string (optionally)
provided by the client. Some clients (specifically Windows) set this
to the hardware address, others (including Mac OS X and Linux) don't
supply it by default. In most cases (I've heard that even Windows
supports it), the user/administrator can configure this in the device.

Interestingly, I've looked up the first three bytes of the hardware
address, and they aren't allocated to anyone for use in ethernet.