Aliased ip's and DHCP

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Nov 13 10:43:00 UTC 2007

Javier Ubillos wrote:

>I'm using an ISPwho's (amazingly) limiting bandwidth per IP (and not
>per port/NIC).
>
>At home I'm using a linuxbox as a router/firewall for the other
>computers, and the ISP gives me 5 IP's
>Now I'd like to make use of these IPs.
>
>The IPs are assigned via DHCP and I only have (/want to use) one NIC.

I'm guessing that the 5 IPs you have are part of a /29 subnet - with
the other 3 accounted for by the subnet, broadcast, and router
addresses. If this is the case, then you also almost certainly have
fixed address and should be able to just configure them statically.

One other (sledgehammer) approach I can think of might be to stick a
few extra ethernet cards in the machine !