Leases for fixed-address hosts not written to lease file?

John Hascall john at iastate.edu
Wed May 23 13:29:12 UTC 2007

> >There's a patch referenced in that message to get the fixed-address
> >leases written out to another file, but now I can't find that
> >anywhere.  If someone could just point me to the approximate spot in
> >the source where I'd need to hack something similar in, it would likely
> >save me a bit of work unwinding what's already in there.

> If you can use version 3.1.0 then there is a new facility called
> Reserved Leases which behaves more like a normal lease. That way you
> get the constant IP address behaviour and the normal lease file
> entries. A search of the archives should give somemore background.

Another option is use dynamic leases, but for each 'fixed' host
create a one-address pool which allows only that one host.
This seems to work best if you use one of the "ignore the uid"
patches that are out there so that you can just key on the mac-address
(esp if you have PXE or similar in your environment).

Something along these lines:

class "08002b00dead" { match hardware; }
subclass "08002b00dead" 08:00:2b:00:de:ad;
host 08002b00dead {
        hardware ethernet 08:00:2b:00:de:ad;
        ddns-hostname "arentispecial";
        ddns-domainname "admin.iastate.edu";