DHCP Option 82

FredZone fredzone at libertysurf.fr
Mon May 14 09:18:46 UTC 2007

Hi,

this is the Relay Agent Option,
it is composed of suboption (circuit-id, remote-id, subscriber-id, etc.).
Pros:
- Often a relay agent is a trusted element in a network and for the DHCP
server it's interesting to obtain securized data before reply.
- It could be used to identify a relay
- It could be used to identify the client physical line and count how many
ip were leased on the line
- Relay agent often use this option (echoed by server) to reply on the
physical line to the client and not on broadcast (Relay agent implementation
dependent)
Cons:
- The setting of these options. It's not often easy to maintain consistency
between the elements setting in the network and your information database.
- The DATAGRAM packet size grows

In my opinion, it's interesting to use this option if you use it on the DHCP
server.

Regards.

Fred.T