INFORM not working properly?

Paul Keck pkeck at uga.edu
Sat Mar 31 20:34:32 UTC 2007

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 11:00:31AM -0700, David W. Hankins wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 07:21:44PM -0700, Craig wrote:
> > option domain-name-servers 1.1.1.1 2.2.2.2 3.3.3.3;
> > subnet 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
> >     host xp-laptop {
> >        hardware ethernet 00:aa:aa:bb:bb:bb;
> >        fixed-address 10.0.0.123;
> >        option domain-name-servers 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.2;
> >     }
> > }
>
> Host statements aren't matched on INFORM.
>
> I don't think we got around to adding that feature for 3.1.

Thanks for the info, David.  I too have some users who ping me every so
often to find out when this is going to work for them.  The way my system is
set up the local network admins can make up "templates" that get applied to
an IP number to supply things like different DNS servers.  (Most of our DHCP
assignments are one-to-one rather than true DHCP pools.)  Right now it only
seems to be a problem for windows clients in SOME AD implementations, but
not most.  They are able to work around it by supplying DNS with an AD
policy instead of DHCP.

A couple of questions-

- when might the INFORM/host statement thing get implemented?
- is there a workaround that could be suggested so that a host trying to get
DNS from an INFORM will get something other than the global default?  I'd be
willing to juggle my config syntax to meet the need.

Thanks!

--
Paul Keck       pkeck at uga.edu         http://www.arches.uga.edu/~pkeck
University of Georgia                 http://www.uga.edu/ucns/telecom
EITS Network Engineering              mailto:pkeck at ediacara.org
    --Opinions mine.--                Go fighting anomalocaridids!!!