dhcp renewal issue on Linux using sockets

Dhaval Shah dshah at wichorus.com
Sat Mar 31 05:57:16 UTC 2007

Hi
   I have compiled my dhcp server on Linux 2.6.14 using sockets. I am running
my dhcp server on the loopback by specifying 'lo' on command line. Initial IP address
assignment works fine since all messages are sent to broadcast, but subsequent unicast
renewal doesnt seem to work. DHCP Request sent to unicast address (in my case the server sends loopback's non-127 address as server identifier in the offer) are not reaching the server.
   I can see that the server is listening on ip-addr-any so it should accept any packets sent to server's port - 67, but it doesnt. Any information would be appreciated.
thanks
Dhaval.