randomizing lease renewal?

Benjamin Wiechman benw at meltel.com
Fri Mar 30 21:24:13 UTC 2007

Brent L. Bates wrote:
>      Not keeping a record of who connected also works against you.  What
if
> one of these student's computers starts sending out SPAM, viruses, or
attacks
> other systems?  You need to be able track the computer and user down to
make
> sure they stop doing it.  You are looking at a liability issue here if you
> don't have that information available.

Sure. But, basically this is using DHCP to implement something very much
like
IPv6 privacy addresses, isn't it?

There are ways to engineer all of those identification needs into a network,
think. Some of them may be quite hackish, but still.

Also, presumably keeping logs a few days would allow you to solve most
problems
due to compromised system, yet still prevent most privacy violations.

Typically when we receive complaints they arrive within 24 hours or less of
the complaints. In theory keeping logs a week or so would take care of any
kind of compromised system/spammer/virus.

Ben Wiechman
Wisper Wireless Solutions, LLC