strange network

Jose Amengual M. pepe at rdc.cl
Fri Mar 30 19:06:46 UTC 2007

Hi all.

I have a strange problem.

I have 10 gateways in the same subnet in my network like.

Gw1 10.0.0.1
Gw2 10.0.0.2
Gwn 10.0.0.x
Subnet mask 255.0.0.0

 I will have like 5000 new clients behind a isc-dhcp, but each actual gateway only support 512 clients simultaneously, for that reason I need to make in any way that my DHCP server send to the client different gateways address for any new connection like round robin load balancing.

 I try at the first time put in the configuration the option like

 option routers router.example.org;

 And in my DNS server make a round-robind resolv for that name like :

 router 60       IN      A       10.0.0.1
router 70       IN      A       10.0.0.2
router 80       IN      A       10.0.0.3

 But with this configuration, one client receive three gateways  instead of one.

 The is a way to do this with the dhcp or dns ?

 Like this dream :
option routers round-robin;
option routers 10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2, 10.0.0.3;

 I’m using :
FreeBSD 6.2
isc-dhcp3-server-3.0.5
BIND 9.3.3