randomizing lease renewal?

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Fri Mar 30 18:43:03 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 02:01:42PM -0400, Scott Helms wrote:
> Again, I ask the question, how is forcing a client to acquire a new
> IP address any more harmful than having a cable, DSL, or wireless
> connection drop offline? Now, to use your example, I completely
> agree that the concept of having everyone be forced to a new IP
> address on a short timer would be inefficient and not helpful.
> Having said that, there are lots of ways of building inefficient
> networks :)

There is a big difference between dropping a link and readdressing an
endpoint.  The former may cause a minor interruption in traffic flow,
which may then resume if the outage is short enough/timers long
enough.  The latter is guaranteed to break all existing sessions,
requiring the user to reconnect, reauthenticate, etc.

> I think that OSS loses when we decide that a feature isn't "moral"
> to include since closed source vendors don't have the same

Well, it is OSS so anyone can include any feature they want.