randomizing lease renewal?

Phil Benchoff benchoff at vt.edu
Fri Mar 30 15:39:49 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 11:15:17AM -0400, Brent L. Bates wrote:
>      Not keeping a record of who connected also works against you.  What if
> one of these student's computers starts sending out SPAM, viruses, or attacks
> other systems?  You need to be able track the computer and user down to make
> sure they stop doing it.  You are looking at a liability issue here if you
> don't have that information available.

The question is how long you need to keep it.  Short-term information is
very useful for dealing with network problems.  Keeping it longer than
you really need it for network management may be a liability.

I have seen it emphasized repeatedly that organizations should have
a documented policy on records retention and disposal and stick to it.
That helps avoid accusations that you either disposed of or kept
information in some exceptional manner.

Phil