Failover problem

Jorge Raimundo Jorge.Raimundo at iscte.pt
Thu Mar 29 16:44:28 UTC 2007

Dear all!

I have the following failover dhcp servers configuration:

Primary

    failover peer "failover" {
      primary;

      address 10.10.20.2;
      peer address 10.10.20.3;

      port 847;                     # listen on this TCP port
      peer port 647;                # connect to peer on this port

      max-response-delay 60;        # how many seconds to wait for
    answer from peer
      max-unacked-updates 10;       # how often to try to contact the
    failover peer
      load balance max seconds 3;   # a cutoff after which load
    balancing is disabled

      # options for primary server only:
      split 128;                    # load balancing threshold (should
    be 128)
      mclt 3600;                    # Maximum Client Lead Time
    }

Secondary

    failover peer "failover" {
      secondary;

      address 10.10.20.3;
      peer address 10.10.20.2;

      port 647;                     # listen on this TCP port
      peer port 847;                # connect to peer on this port

      max-response-delay 60;        # how many seconds to wait for
    answer from peer
      max-unacked-updates 10;       # how often to try to contact the
    failover peer
      load balance max seconds 3;   # a cutoff after which load
    balancing is disabled
    }

    repeats the primary ....

I have the following problem: some laptops that try to receive an
address to connect via wireless connection hung in the process of
getting the address. I've sniffed the communication and I saw the
following:
- - DISCOVER
- - OFFER (from the primary)
- - REQUEST
- - ACK (from the secondary, witch is ignored by the client)

Is there anything wrong with this configuration?

Thanks for your help.

Jorge Raimundo