DHCP DISCOVERs but no OFFERs - update

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Fri Mar 16 20:19:47 UTC 2007

I did a bit more digging around my logs and saw that there was a ping ahead
failure in correlation to each DISCOVER.  I had accidentally wiped out my
leases for that subnet (3rd-party vendor GUI) and the ping ahead was finding

Why doesn't the DHCP server mark that IP address as abandoned and then go on
to the next free one and run another ping ahead, rather than wait for the
next DHCP DISCOVER?  Depending on the DHCP client's behavior and the number
missing leases (a lot, in my case), it could take minutes to hours before
the DHCP client receives a DHCP offer.

Frank