Order that ranges are dolled out?

Keith Lawson Keith.Lawson at sjhc.london.on.ca
Wed Mar 7 18:20:16 UTC 2007

<a06230900c20e322da4e7@[192.168.0.100]>, Simon Hobson <dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk>
wrote:
> Carl Karsten wrote:
>
>>  > I'm sure this has been asked here before but I can't seem to find
>>anything in the archives.
>>>
>>>  When dhcpd dolls out leases from a range does it do it in
>>>numerical order starting at the lowest number and going up until it
>>>finds the next available IP?
>
>>Hate to be trite (whatever that means) but why would you care?
>>
>>Whatever problem you are trying to solve probably has a better solution than
>>relying on IP order.
>
> Funnily enough, exactly the first thing that came to mind when I read
> the question.

One of our network admins asked me the question and I didn't have a definite answer for him. He didn't explain to me why he wanted to know. If there is an existing problem I'll address it properly.

> As has been mentioned, this ONLY happens while there are unused
> addresses available, and after that addresses are handed out in a
> non- deterministic manner as seen from an outside observer without
> knowledge of the contents of the leases file.
>
> There is another complication as well, though it won't affect many
> installations. If you have an existing DHCP server, switch it off,
> and replace it with the ISC server -  then many clients will get the
> address they are already using and NOT the next in sequence. This
> will happen when the clients request an extension of their existing
> lease, at which point they will get it if it is an available address
> under the new config.
> It probably also applies to clients (such as Windows IIRC) that
> retain their lease info and specifically ask for the same address
> next time they bring up their interface.

Thanks for the detailed responses.

Keith.
information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please
www.sjhc.london.on.ca