Newbie Question : ERROR: dhcp Unable to add forward map from

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Wed Mar 7 10:31:56 UTC 2007

>Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 12:43:40 +0530 (IST)
>From: dhcp2003 <dhcp2003-dhcp2003 at yahoo.co.in>
>Subject: Newbie Question : ERROR: dhcp Unable to add forward map from
>To: dhcp-users at isc.org
>
>Hi,
>
>I am not able figure out that my why do I get following errors?
>
>DHCP ERROR:
>dhcp: Unable to add forward map from "computername" to 10.20.155.196
>
>Named Error:
>named [805] /etc/namedb/dishs.net.jnl : create permission denied.
>
>Is there any relationship between these two messages?
>
>Please help me out of this chaos, I can submit my configuration filles for
perusal.
>Is it related to hosts file?

Wild guess here. named is often run as a non-root user, eg look for the
running named process. The user is specified with the -u option, eg
named -u bind is common, and in that case the user would be 'bind'.

Make sure this user has write permission on the directory /var/named
and all the files in it.

The dhcp error likely flows on form the error status returned from the
failed update.

regards,
-glenn