Force expiration of lease on a Solaris box?

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Tue Mar 6 12:17:30 UTC 2007

>Subject: Force expiration of lease on a Solaris box?
>Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 12:20:48 -0800
>From: "John Tabasz \(jtabasz\)" <jtabasz at cisco.com>
>To: <dhcp-users at isc.org>
>
>Hi All,
>
>Anyone out there know if it's possible to force DHCP expiration and
>renewal of a Solaris network interface?
>
>I'm trying to figure out if I can impose my will on a Sun box to get it
>to acquire a different IP address that I have configured for it on my
>DHCP server.

The Solaris DHCP client is embedded within the ifconfig program.

So to release a lease on Solaris:

ifconfig $int dhcp release

and to aquire a new lease:

ifconfig $int dhcp primary

And to get the current state:

ifconfig $int dhcp status

Where $int is theinterface name, such as hme0, bge0 etc.

There's no way to force it to do this from the server though.

regards,
-glenn