Need explanations about server-name, next-server...

Jeremie Le Hen jeremie at le-hen.org
Sun Mar 4 19:49:40 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have been looking for PXE HOWTOs and I saw numerous options that
seems to overlap themselves.  I've read what I could in dhcpd.conf(5)
manpage and glanced at RFC1533 as well but I'm still bewildered.

Some setups use "server-name", some others "next-server".  I even
saw "option tftp-server-name" sometimes.  Most of the time they
all have the same value.

I think that "server-name" is just a string identifying the DHCP
server, though I don't really understand the purpose of such an option.
The "next-server" option seems to describe the IP address (or
FQDN) or the TFTP server.

Am I right ?  In this case, what's the usefulness of
"option tftp-server-name" ?

I would be glad of someone could point out the reference or a
description for this.

Thank you.
Best regards,
--