DHCP for multiple networks with static and dynamic assignments

Bruce Hudson Bruce.Hudson at Dal.Ca
Fri Mar 2 22:43:47 UTC 2007

>      pool {
>        failover peer "ict";
>        deny dynamic bootp clients;
>        range 10.10.10.21 10.10.10.25;
>        range 10.10.10.28 10.10.10.30;
>        allow unknown clients;
>        option routers 10.10.10.1;
>        option domain-name-servers 10.10.11.2, 10.10.12.30;
>        max-lease-time 3600;
>        default-lease-time 900;
>      }
>    }
> }
>

> host kangoo     {
>    hardware ethernet 00:14:22:E0:CE:3F;
>    fixed-address kangoo;
> }

    The statement "allow unknown clients" implicitly denies everybody else,
your known clients. I know that in ancient versions of the server, a host
entry with a fixed address only made the client "known" on the subnet that
matched that IP. As mentioned earlier you had to define an ethernet address
twice, once with a fixed address and once without, to allow it to be known
on other subnets. I had the impression this is no longer true but I confess
that I have not tested it in years.

    Try removing the "allow unknown clients" statement. If a defined host
has a fixed address this will be given in preference to a pool address so it
should not be necessary as far as I can see.
--
Bruce A. Hudson				| Bruce.Hudson at Dal.CA
UCIS, Networks and Systems		|