DHCP for multiple networks with static and dynamic assignments

Wojciech 'Wheart' Penar wheart at lab103.ict.pwr.wroc.pl
Fri Mar 2 22:14:19 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007, David W. Hankins wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 02:00:56PM +0100, Wojciech 'Wheart' Penar wrote:
>>  		pool {
>>  			# pool specific options
>>  		}
>
> Can you expand a bit on what you put in the pool here?
>
> Is it just a range?
>
> A sample host {} decl (and where you put it in the config) might
> also be helpful.

Here is part of my dhcpd.conf:
---begin---
option domain-name "my.domain.pl";
option domain-name-servers dns1.my.domain.pl, dns2.my.domain.pl;
ddns-update-style none;
max-lease-time 86400;
default-lease-time 14400;

### failover configuration seats here ###

shared-network lab_013_019 {
   authoritative;
   max-lease-time 86400;
   default-lease-time 43200;

   subnet 10.10.10.0 netmask 255.255.255.224 {
     option routers 10.10.10.1;
     option broadcast-address 10.10.10.31;
     option domain-name-servers 10.10.12.30, 10.10.11.30;

     pool {
       failover peer "ict";
       deny dynamic bootp clients;
       range 10.10.10.21 10.10.10.25;
       range 10.10.10.28 10.10.10.30;
       allow unknown clients;
       option routers 10.10.10.1;
       option domain-name-servers 10.10.11.2, 10.10.12.30;
       max-lease-time 3600;
       default-lease-time 900;
     }
   }
}

host kangoo     {
   hardware ethernet 00:14:22:E0:CE:3F;
   fixed-address kangoo;
}
---end---

Before modifications pool stetment was just behind brace closing subnet
stetment, host ceclarations were located in subnet statement. Now after
global statements come set od shared-network declarations (with
corresponding subnets within them), then host declaration are included.

> My bet is that you've got 'deny known;' in your config somewhere,
> and 'allow known;' for the static leases.

There are no such directives in my configuration.
I can't find in the manual what is default behavior, if host
is known (has "host" statement) and asks for IP from outside of it's own
segment. I cant't check it now, but maybe "allow known-clients;" is
required to allow assigning dynamic IP for known hosts.

I've just noticed, that in manual there is dash ("-") in the middle of
"unknown-clients", but server doesn't complain about it and it is
working...

Regards,
Wojciech Penar

--