"DHCP set the hostname"

Tim Peiffer peiffer at umn.edu
Thu Mar 1 01:41:36 UTC 2007

A read of the manual page for dhcp-option(5) and dhclient-script(5) is
useful.  An excerpt from the man page says:
       option host-name string;

          This option specifies the name of the client.  The name may
or  may
          not be qualified with the local domain name (it is preferable
to use
          the domain-name option to specify the domain name).   See
RFC  1035
          for  character  set  restrictions.   This  option is only
honored by
          dhclient-script(8) if the hostname for the  client  machine
is  not
          set.

The use of the host-name specified is optional and depends upon how the
client is configured.  Now the next logical question, is how does this
work in Winderz?