IP destination address for DHCPOFFER?

Dan Sahlin dan.sahlin at raycore-fos.com
Tue Jun 26 12:07:37 UTC 2007

What is the proper IP destination address for a DHCPOFFER message?

ISC DHCP v3.0.4 uses the new proposed IP address as the destination
address in the DHCPOFFER message, i.e. the same as the yiaddr.

One DHCP client I have (a managed fiber converter) ignores this
DHCPOFFER message as it expects the broadcast IP adress (
255.255.255.255) instead.

In "The DHCP Handbook" on top of page 107 the DHCPOFFER destination
address is shown as the broadcast address. However, the text on the
same page says:
"This message is sent to the Ethernet broadcast address
ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff and to the new assigned IP address 192.168.11.25."

I do not find the RFC2131 very clear either regarding the proper
addressing of DHCPOFFER. In section  3.1.2 it simply says
"Each server may respond with a DHCPOFFER message that includes an
available network address in the 'yiaddr' field..."

So how should the standards properly be interpreted regarding the IP
and MAC adresses of the DHCPOFFER message?

  /Dan Sahlin

email:  dan.sahlin at raycore-fos.com
phone: +46 70 5198187