qemu dhcp server hack

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Thu Jun 7 15:37:57 UTC 2007

David W. Hankins wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 12:31:22AM -0500, Carl Karsten wrote:
>> This is a bit OT, but hopefully not to far off...
>
> Possibly more topical for dhcp-hackers ("generic not-ISC dhcp
> development discussion").  Don't sweat it.
>
> But this bit is topical:
>
>> I wanted to add support for host-name (which is what feeds 'search=' in
>> /etc/resolve.conf, right?), but I missed something, cuz it doesn't work:
>
> You mean domain-name.  It's not "supposed" to feed 'search' in
> resolv.conf.  That's kind of something ISC DHCP went and did,
> without protocol approval, and it has odd effects in other DHCP
> client implementations.
>
> There's an honest-to-god domain search option, we implemented it
> in 3.1.0 (so it's in 4.0.0 too).  That obviously isn't well deployed
> in clients yet.

So my qemu mod works.  good.  I'll submit a patch to qemu dev, but I am thinking
maybe I should implement what I need in a more generic way so that it will be
more useful: something that lets you pass 'any' dhcp option.

This sounded good, till I considered what the command line syntax would be, and
got stuck.

What I currently have:

    -net user[,vlan=n][,hostname=name][,domainname=name]

What I am thinking of:

    -net user[,vlan=n][,hostname=name][,dchpoption=15,dhcpvalue=name]

This only allows one option, and that rubs me the wrong way.

Has this been done somewhere else?   Any suggestions?

Carl K