"not mine" messages

Per olof Ljungmark peo at intersonic.se
Wed Jun 6 15:28:07 UTC 2007

Niall O'Reilly wrote:

> On 5 Jun 2007, at 20:34, Per olof Ljungmark wrote:
>
>> Thank you for the response! I have really tried to give dhcpd a "green
>> field", ie. started from scratch with clean zone files, but STILL see
>> those messages. I am beginning to wonder if this particular network
>> has
>> another competing dhcp server....
>
> 	Hmm...  This gets interesting, and at the same time begins to
> 	wander into the topic area of some other list.  Let's keep it here,
> 	unless someone objects, as long as it seems to be in the area of
> 	how dhcpd interacts with the DNS.  At least we should end up with
> 	a dhcpd/DDNS checklist for future reference.
>
> 	You'll need some scepticism about what is going on in order to make
> 	progress.  You mustn't assume that anything you 'know for sure' is
> 	actually happening unless you have data to prove it.  Useful methods
> 	involve tcpdump, log files for both dhcpc and name servers, with
> 	query-logging enables on the name servers.
>
> 	[ Of course, you know that, but I've been bitten enough times by my
> 	  own residual assumptions (_after_ I thought I had eliminated all
> 	  of them) to consider it worth saying ... ]
>
> 	Can you identify which name server is involved in the attempts by
> 	your dhcpd to update the zone?  Is this server really a master for
> 	the zone in question?  Is it the only master?
>
> 	Is this name server driven by a provisioning system (Active Directory?)
> 	which might be managing your zone for you?
>
> 	Have you a conflict between manual and dynamic updates to the zone
> 	involved?
>
> 	Can you find (dig @server hostname.whatever.example ANY) what the
> 	'not mine' DHCID is?  Can you identify the DHCP server which is
> 	writing it?

Well, the basics are pretty well covered, the master DNS is the same
host as the dhcpd server and it is really the master. Today is public
holiday here and almost zero activity on this network, meaning that it's
impossible to tell if any of the changes I did yesterday late actually
improved anything. Will return tomorrow with more details and config
files etc.

What I can see however, is that the "not mine" messages starts in the
morning and ends in the evenings.