configuration for different networks

Jared Greenwald greenwaldjared at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 15:16:20 UTC 2007

I think I'm losing my mind.

I have my laptop setup to use dhclient on its wireless interface.  I
need to be able to connect to my work's openvpn setup.

I have openvpn setup correctly with dnrd to setup routes to all of the
internal-to-vpn routes.  In fact, when I just bring everything up from
boot it works perfectly.

The problem comes in when dhclient goes to renew its configuration.
My resolv.conf search lines get overwritten with that of the dhcp
server on the network.  Also, I lose connections to machines that are
inside of the vpn network for just a second.  This has the result of
me bouncing in and out of the irc server inside of the vpn, can't send
mail, etc.

I don't really want to keep the search settings for the vpn in
permanent config since I'm not always connected to the vpn.  But still
that doesn't explain why I'm dropping the connections to internal
machines.

Is there some way to profile the connections such that every time I'm
in a certain profile, my search lines get setup correctly and my
connections don't get dropped?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jared