Ignore DISCOVERs from a certain MAC?

Tina Siegenthaler tina at zool.uzh.ch
Mon Jul 16 14:00:59 UTC 2007

Am 16.07.2007 um 15:51 schrieb King, Michael:

> I think you might be running into something Dell has done....
>

> http://juice.altiris.com/article/1141/how-to-disable-ip-insertion-
> and-us
> e-dhcp-reservations-in-ds-for-dell-servers-2-0-or-greater
>
> Deployment Solution for Dell Servers assumes that users will be using
> statically configured IP addresses for their DRAC and IPMI cards.
> While
> this may be beneficial to some users, most of us probably would prefer
> to use DHCP and place IP reservations on our DHCP servers for our DRAC
> and BMC cards.
>
> BMC
>
>     Baseboard Management Controller. A hardware management device used
> to send hardware alerts about the health of the server to a remote
> console for monitoring and remote diagnostics.

aaargh, looks complicated, but this might be it. I wonder, though,
why our other Dell server doesn't try and pull an IP? Guess there
must be some configuration difference. I'll give that link to my
colleague when he's back from his holidays, I don't dare trying
something like that on the Win server, I have too little experience
with Windows...

Still, meanwhile, it would be nice to be able and just ignore those
DISCOVERs... any idea why "ignore booting" is not working?

Thanks for the hint & link,

Tina