ISC DHCPD giving out reserved IPs for non-reserved hosts

John Wobus jw354 at cornell.edu
Mon Jul 9 19:29:19 UTC 2007

I'm assuming that you were indeed attempting to use the ISC server's
host declaration as the equivalent of the Microsoft servers 'reserved'
feature:

DHCP standards don't apply to this issue.  The subject at hand is how to
configure a specific DHCP server to do something.  Microsoft and ISC
each
have their own implementation details, including configuration methods.
Even their own jargon.  Once you've configured them, each in their
own way, one hopes they both carry out the DHCP operations in
RFC-compliant manner.

All I say is that the 'host' declaration in the ISC server is not the
exact equivalent of the 'reserved' feature in the Microsoft server.
To mimic Microsoft's 'reserved' configuration feature, in the ISC
server you would also need to declare a dynamic pool or pools
accordingly,
specifying which addresses are to be dynamically given out.
Microsoft wins for configuration convenience in this specific case,
though many would not directly mess with the ISC configuration, but
would use software to construct the file, which could take care of
such complications under the covers, and perhaps offer other
configuration convenience features that Microsoft doesn't.

(I actually have zero experience with the Microsoft server, so
I could easily go off track and say something wrong about it.)

John Wobus