Testing the DHCP Server

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Jul 9 08:27:28 UTC 2007

Aggarwal Vivek-Q4997C wrote:

>Im having a DHCP Server with ISC 3.0 package installed on the LINUX
>machine.

3.0.? Current version is (IIRC) 3.0.5, 3.0 is 'very old'

>I want to perform the testing of the DHCP server, can anyone help me out
>that
>1. How can I test the DHCP Server?

Plug in a client and watch !

>2. What all test cases I should do to check the performance of DHCP
>Server?

Do you mean test performance or test functionality, the two are VERY
different tests.

To test functionality, unplug the network cable on a client and plug
it back in. You should see the client do a dhcp-request and the
server respond with an ack. Assuming that the client got an address
under step 1 (dhcp-discover, dhcp-offer, dhcp-request, dhcp-ack) then
you have tested the main functions.

Testing DDNS is really just a matter of checking that the right DNS
records get added.

If you really mean performance testing (aka stress testing), check
the mail archives as there have been a few mentions of tools to
stress test dhcp servers.

>3. What all tools will be required to perform the testing?

Basic testing - just the normal unix tools (cat, tail, ...) If you
meed to diagnose stuff because something isn't working that a packet
sniffer (I use Wireshark) is very useful.

>4. How much time it will take to perform all the test cases?

Basic cases, about 5 mins. Beyond that depends on how complex your
setup is - if you have lots of special cases/classes/etc then it will
take longer to work your way through those.