what part of dhcpd.leases file is moved (or copied) to dhcpd.leases~?

Luc T. taoh666 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 21 21:03:23 UTC 2007

what part of dhcpd.leases file is moved (or copied) to dhcpd.leases~?

  I am always confused with this question, as I can see new (in term of starting time) leases in dhcpd.leases~, while older leases are still sitting in dhcpd.conf.

  From the man dhcpd.leases, it says

  "First,  a  temporary lease   database   is   created   and   all   known   leases  are  dumped  to  it.    Then,  the  old  lease  database  is  renamed /var/lib/dhcp/dhcpd.leases~.   Finally, the newly written lease database is moved into place."

  It seems to me that

  1. when this happens, the new dhcpd.leases should be almost empty or contain only a few records.

  2. the dhcpd.leases and dhcpd.leases~ can be linked together to form a more complete, bigger leases file.

  Am I right?

  Luc