Purging of lease file does not involve deletion of RRs

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Wed Jan 17 16:06:32 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 10:25:01AM -0500, Peter Rabbitson wrote:
> Say I have a number of leases that performed a successful interim dns
> update. Their leases are written to the leases file, with the
> corresponding TXT records and everything. If I change my dhcpd.conf in
> such a way that those leases are not included in any host or range,
> dhcpd simply throws it away on reload with the message:
> lease xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: no subnet
> However it does not attempt to delete the corresponding RRs resulting in
> stale records. Is this an intended behavior or is something that was
> overlooked and a bug should be filed?

That's a design error we should probably consider when we move
from interim ddns updates to the now standard ddns updates (using
the new DHCID RR).

I don't think it's something we can address in 3.0.x maint, and we
are pressed for development cycles so I don't think we can fit this
into the 3.1.x feature release (still in alpha), but you should
hit dhcp-suggest at isc.org with this feature request so we don't
forget.