2 dhcpd Instances on Same Platform? Take 2

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Feb 23 07:28:13 UTC 2007

John Wobus wrote:

>  > Yes, but you would need two physical interfaces, you would also need
>>  to have a mechanism in place to prevent the statically defined
>>  clients getting addresses in the dynamic pool. Assuming you have two
>>  ethernet ports, you could do :
>>
>>  dhcpd -lf leasefile0 -cf configfile0 eth0
>>  dhcpd -lf leasefile1 -cf configfile1 eth1
>

>If all requests come through helpers, would it be doable with a single
>interface?  We run only one instance per server, but it is on a
>secondary
>address.

Bear in mind that this is educated guesswork ...

Whilst in theory it should be possible, I think the way the ISC
server is coded assumes that it will have to handle the local subnet,
and therefore it must do the low level packet handling on the
interface. Because some of the packets it is set up to handle are
broadcast, they cannot be identified as belonging to any particular
IP address in the physical port.

If you hacked the code and removed the bits that handle packets for
the local network (and a few other changes) then I suppose it would
work, but I've no idea how practical such a removal would be given
how tightly integrated into the normal server operation it is.