How to configure multiple ipaddress per mac address

Bruce Hudson Bruce.Hudson at Dal.Ca
Thu Feb 22 17:12:18 UTC 2007

>  I am trying to setup a machine to have multiple ipaddresses using dhcp?
> Is this possible? Redhat doesn't seem to support it since they
> categorically say that eth0:0 won't support dhcp. So how can I specify in
> the dhcpd config file that a particular mac address has multiple
> ipaddreses? Does the protocol actually support multiple ips/ethernet
> card.

    The protocol certainly supports multiple IP address per ethernet card.
The limitation is that it only supports a single IP address per "primary
key". This key is either the ethernet address (the most commonly used
default) or a specified client identifier.

    What you need is a client that specifies a different client identifier
for each virtual interface. If you want to assign fixed IP addresses then
your host declarations (1 per virtual interface despite the name) would
specify the client identifiers instead of a hardware address.
--
Bruce A. Hudson				| Bruce.Hudson at Dal.CA
UCIS, Networks and Systems		|