2 dhcpd Instances on Same Platform? Take 2

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Thu Feb 22 14:00:15 UTC 2007

Simon Hobson writes:
> Yes, but you would need two physical interfaces, you would also need
> to have a mechanism in place to prevent the statically defined
> clients getting addresses in the dynamic pool. Assuming you have two
> ethernet ports, you could do :
>
> dhcpd -lf leasefile0 -cf configfile0 eth0
> dhcpd -lf leasefile1 -cf configfile1 eth1

	Good.  I figured from the documentation that one would
need to do that sort of thing.  Since then, I did more research
that points to another possibility which is that of putting both
dhcpd's in separate jails so that they have their own little
worlds to put their default lease files and syslogs.  One could
still be set to use the second Ethernet interface.  Before I
start planning this for sure, are there any gotchas with that
idea?  The systems in question run FreeBSD and are usually loaded
at about 0.05 or so running 1 DHCP server.  I think they could
handle 2 with no problem as far as their CPU, clock speed and
storage space is concerned.

Martin McCormick