static IP assignment through a bridge ...

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Feb 20 13:39:32 UTC 2007

Frank Bulk wrote:
>Bridges are layer-2 devices, so if it auto-learns the MAC addresses on each
>connected segment, as most of them do, this should work just fine.
>
>If I understand your question correctly, if you create a static assignment
>in your DHCP config, your router, which has a fixed MAC address on its WAN
>interface, should get the same IP address every time.

But the query was to base the address on the MAC of the bridge, not
of the router ! This you cannot do - the bridge doesn't actually have
to have a MAC address of it's own !

There is one way of doing it, using some types of managed switch.
Some of them have the ability to sniff for dhcp packets and insert an
additional option (circuit-id IIRC) which is the physical port
identifier the client is attached to. You can't at present use this
in a fixed-address host statement, but you can use it in class
matching.