dhcp server only allocate the IP in first subnet configured?

DA Ming Ming.Da at alcatel-sbell.com.cn
Mon Dec 17 02:43:04 UTC 2007

Hello all

I've met several weird problems when I debug the DHCP server on PPC.

All the source codes are tested ok on my local PC (host test) and the
functionalities of DHCP server are excellent! However, when I debug the
same DHCP server on a target PPC environment, some weird problems
happened.

*        DHCP server can not work properly with dual network adaptors.
The two adaptors are not in the same network subnets (e.g., one is in
192.168.*.* and another in 10.9.*.*). I have to disable one of them so
that the DHCP server can work although I configured the 'dhcpd.conf' and
added these two subnets into this file.

*        I disable one of the adaptors and the DHCP server runs.
However, when I send DHCPDISCOVER to DHCP server, it always allocates
the IP address in the first subnet I configured in 'dhcpd.conf'. when
DHCPREQUEST is received, the DHCP server always responses with NAK. The
subnet configuration in 'dhcpd.conf' is as following

# dhcpd.conf

#

# Sample configuration file for ISC dhcpd

#

# option definitions common to all supported networks...

option domain-name "example.org";

option domain-name-servers ns1.example.org, ns2.example.org;

default-lease-time 0xffffffff;

max-lease-time 0xffffffff;

ddns-update-style ad-hoc;

# If this DHCP server is the official DHCP server for the local

# network, the authoritative directive should be uncommented.

authoritative;

# Use this to send dhcp log messages to a different log file (you also

# have to hack syslog.conf to complete the redirection).

log-facility local7;

subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.0.0 {

  range 192.168.144.1 192.168.144.6;

  range 192.168.143.1 192.168.143.6;

  range 192.168.142.1 192.168.142.6;

  range 192.168.141.1 192.168.141.6;

  range 192.168.140.1 192.168.140.6;

  range 192.168.139.1 192.168.139.6;

  range 192.168.138.1 192.168.138.6;

  range 192.168.137.1 192.168.137.6;

  range 192.168.136.1 192.168.136.6;

  range 192.168.135.1 192.168.135.6;

  range 192.168.134.1 192.168.134.6;

  range 192.168.133.1 192.168.133.6;

  range 192.168.132.1 192.168.132.6;

  range 192.168.131.1 192.168.131.6;

  range 192.168.130.1 192.168.130.6;

  range 192.168.129.1 192.168.129.6;

  option routers 192.168.180.254;

  default-lease-time 0xffffffff;

  max-lease-time 0xffffffff;

}

The DHCP server always allocates 192.168.144.6, 192.168.144.5 ... to
client even though the client requests for a legal IP address such as
192.168.133.2 and so on.

Even though I comment the first "range" definition in this subnet as
following

subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.0.0 {

  #range 192.168.144.1 192.168.144.6;

  range 192.168.143.1 192.168.143.6;

  range 192.168.142.1 192.168.142.6;

The DHCP server then responses 192.168.143.6, 192.168.143.5 ...

Is the differences between PPC and x86 that cause this problem? It's
really weird and I'm totally confused in it.

Does anybody ever meet such kind of this problem or some similar ones?
Could some one help me out of this problem?

Thanks a lot and thanks all of you for your concern!

Best Regards!

DA MING

( 25-84731240-5109 / (Alcanet) 2735-5109

Ming.Da at alcatel-sbell.com.cn