dhcp server not respoding with time server option

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Fri Dec 14 12:39:05 UTC 2007

>Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 10:08:58 +0000
>From: "Niall O'Reilly" <Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie>
>Subject: Re: dhcp server not respoding with time server option
>To: dhcp-users at isc.org
>
>On 14 Dec 2007, at 04:59, S Kalyanasundaram wrote:
>
>> If you remember the option to override the client supplied list
>> please let me know.
>

>	I found this lurking in our master configuration file.
>	It refers to a piece of equipment which is no longer in service,
>	so I'm not in a position to say exactly how it works or to confirm
>	that it has the intended effect.  In particular, I don't recall
>	whether it over-rides what the client specifies, or was needed only
>	because the client didn't specify a parameter list.
>
>	  host skinny {
>                 option dhcp-parameter-request-list 1,3,6,15,42,66,150;
>	  }

As I understand the RFC, if the server sends options that the client
didn't request it can, and probably will, ignore them. So, if your
client doesn't request the timeserver, then it probably has no idea how
to use that option if it is sent.

If you're using dhclient, then you can use the "request" parameter to
say what options you want to receive, but then you need to write some
code to interpret them and do whatever is appropriate.

regards,
-glenn