VLAN & DHCP server

Tim Peiffer peiffer at umn.edu
Thu Dec 13 12:40:53 UTC 2007

This is a frequently asked question that could have been researched
before asking.   The first URI I would recommend is a search engine:
http://www.google.com/search?q=isc+dhcp+server+vlan Lots of stuff comes up.

Configure your network adapter to support vlan operations.  Here too a
search engine is useful
http://www.google.com/search?q=linux++vlan+interface+configuration

A useful article from the linux journals describe how to configure vlans
on Debian using the vconfig.
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7268

Then you follow the normal server configurations from the dhcp server
manuals.  The interfaces created by linux vlan config utility vconfig
create regular interfaces.  There is nothing different about them from
the perspective of the DHCP server.

    subnet 1.2.3.0 netmask 255.255.255.192 {
        option routers 1.2.3.62;
        option broadcast-address 1.2.3.63;
        [.... and so on.
    }

Tim Peiffer
Networking and Telecommunications Services
University of Minnesota