PXE only Config [OT]

Dan Farrell dan at spore.ath.cx
Mon Dec 3 23:17:42 UTC 2007

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 14:54:08 -0700
Daniel Wells <daniel_wells at byu.edu> wrote:

> So yes,
>
> Thanks for the clarification.  The technical name is a DHCP proxy.
> So are you saying that ISC DHCP cannot be configured as a Proxy DHCP
> or that it is just difficult.  It seems that the main difference is
> that the proxy can reply with a null client IP address field (from
> the spec," If this is a Proxy DHCP Service, then the client IP
> address field is null (0.0.0.0)").
>
> There is great diagram in the PXE spec (v 2.1) that illustrates
> exactly what we want.
>
> "Figure 2-4 illustrates the case of a Proxy DHCP service and the DHCP
> service on different servers. In this case, the Proxy DHCP service
> listens to UDP port (67) and responds in parallel with the DHCP
> service."
>
> I apologize for the confusing term "PXE server".  I hope this
> clarifies things.
>
> That being said, does anyone know of any documentation that might
> discuss setting up ISC DHCP as a proxy DHCP?
>
>     - Daniel Wells

from
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:DWVGuPkpEnQJ:www.math.ias.edu/doc/syslinux-2.11/pxelinux.doc+dhcp-parameter-request-list&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a

i dug this content:

      if exists dhcp-parameter-request-list {

             # Always send the PXELINUX options (specified in
			hexadecimal)

             option dhcp-parameter-request-list = concat(option
dhcp-parameter-request-list,d0,d1,d2,d3);

      }

perhaps try in hex?  i don't know if that is required just in
dhcpd-scripting, or what.  not many references for that option.