Not Authoritative for Subnet 192.168.1.0

Bruce Hudson Bruce.Hudson at Dal.Ca
Mon Dec 3 21:33:52 UTC 2007

> I am a newbie so please go easy on me and forgive for any mistake.
> I have a network with Vista connected via ethernet plus a laptop
> connected on wifi to my network. I have installed DHCP3 Server and I
> am forcing Vista to use a static IP address. On my laptop it is a
> dynamic one from the range i have put in dhcpd.conf file. My laptop
> is doing fine with a dynamic ip address that is given by my dhcp
> server but vista refuses to work. I looked in /var/log/syslog and the
> error message says 'DHCP INFORM from 192.168.1.55 via eth1; not
> authoritative for subnet 192.168.1.0' I dont get it as I have
> commented the option authoritative in the dhcpd.conf file.
> Could anyone please give me a hand? I would really appreciate it.

    You say that you've commented out the "authoritative" directive
in the config file and the sever defaults to being non-authoritative
so the error message that said "not authoritative for subnet" was
correct. The server does give DHCPINFORM replies unless it is
authoritative.

    Vista uses the DHCPINFORM mechanism to get additional parameters
that it either did not get in its initial DHCP dialog or which were
not configured statically. The default gateway and DNS servers are
likely candidates that come to mind but it could be asking for just
about anything. Without some better diagnostic that "refuses to work"
it is hard to say what is wrong. What does "IPCONFIG/ALL" say?
--
Bruce A. Hudson				| Bruce.Hudson at Dal.CA
UCIS, Networks and Systems		|