Antw: Re: PXE only Config [OT]

Leonhard Kurz LeoKurz at gmx.de
Sun Dec 2 08:42:26 UTC 2007

Hi,

that's basically the way it works. The pxe client requests all its "normal stuff" and after that, it requests basically two other options: "filename" and "next-server". The protocol was invented by Intel and you can find a pretty good document describing it there (http://download.intel.com/design/archives/wfm/downloads/pxespec.pdf).  In there a "dhcp proxy" is described, and that's exactly what we're looking for. There are many reasons why you can't or don't want to integrate into existing dhcp services. Me e.g., I'm a consultant and I'm going onsite to customers installing servers in a scripted way and I'd like to use pxe. I don't want the customer to change his dhcp settings just for the short time I'm onsite. Often thy are not willing to do so or the dhcp service is run by a different team and it's far too much effort to convince them to change their system.

 HTH
__Leo

>>> Dan Farrell<dan at spore.ath.cx> 01.12.2007 22:00 >>>
On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 12:47:04 +0100
"Leonhard Kurz" <LeoKurz at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> I'm looking exactly for the same functionality, but for another
> reason. I posted a request some time ago but didn't receive any
> answer so far. I know most of the DTM tool can do this and
> technically it shouldn't be a problem for the dhcp server. Perhaps a
> "PXE proxy" functionality can be implemented in the next release.
> Would be great for all this "add-on" deployment applications based on
> PXElinux, tftp etc. to do scripted kickstart, autoyast, unattended
> installations.
>
> Cheers
> __Leo

I don't have a lot of experience in bureaucratic big shops, so it's
been difficult to concieve of a situation where DHCP needed to be
deployed seperately from PXE and what that would look like.

It was my understanding that the dhcp client would request a lease,
then the address and all other pertinent information would be sent to
the client.  I did not realize that the client asked for PXE
information seperately.

If somebody spent a few scarce seconds setting me straight, I would
certainly appreciate it.